Wednesday, November 30, 2011

White Chocolate Latte


Rich, creamy and delicious. Perfect for an afternoon pick-me-up or an after dinner dessert drink. What is also completely refreshing about this beverage is that it costs so little compared to the $4.00 drinks you might purchase at your local coffee shop. For me, the ambiance is hard to turn down at these little shops (I LOVE walking into a Starbucks and having all my senses awaken). But, oh the possibilities with that $4.00 you don't spend. Save for a trip to Europe (hey, it could happen), start a college fund, or pay off your debt–Dave Ramsey would be so proud!


I'll be honest, I was hesitant about one ingredient in particular. Can you guess what it is? Instant Coffee! I do believe that some family members would disown me. However in this drink with the vanilla and almond extracts, and lots of luxurious richness, I really didn't miss the "real" coffee. To quote my skeptical coffee-snob husband "You can't tell that it's instant—only that it's good."


Have I mentioned this is a rich drink? For a lighter version, I would definitely mix and match different milks, perhaps using 2 cups skim milk and 1 cup whole. And although an optional ingredient, I used real whipping cream for the topping and next time I will simply use Ready Whip.

This was quite a treat–enjoy!

This post has been linked to Eat at Home.

White Chocolate Latte
From Southern Living

Ingredients
  • 2 cups milk
  • 1 cup half-and-half
  • 2/3 cup white chocolate morsels
  • 2 tablespoons instant coffee granules
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
  • Whipped cream (optional)
  • Garnish: cinnamon sticks

Directions
Stir first 4 ingredients together in a small saucepan over low heat until white chocolate morsels are melted. Stir in vanilla and almond extracts; pour evenly into 4 mugs. Top with whipped cream, if desired. Garnish, if desired, and serve immediately.

Yield: 4 servings

2 comments:

  1. This sounds devine! I found it on Pinterest. It is going on my pinboard!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to try this; it looks & sounds yummy

    ReplyDelete